Match Reports 2019/20



Saturday 5th October 2019

We hosted Porth Harlequins this week who sat 3 points above us in the table in what was expected to be a tough contest. We had 3 changes in personnel from last week's victory with Jordan Westcott and John Williams returning to the back four with Martin Jones coming back into the midfield.

We started the game well and looked to put the visitors under pressure and a few dangerous balls into the box caused problems early on and 7 minutes in we took the lead when Keiran Tann's deep cross to the far post was headed back across goal by Shay Rees into the path of the oncoming Barrie Jones whose right foot strike had too much power for the Porth keeper. Both sides looked to play on the front foot and play was going end to end in an evenly contested opening 20 minutes and then the goal of the game came as we got that important second when the ball got played into Martin Jones's feet 25 yards out and his "Bergkampesk" touch to flick the ball around the defender to set him through one on one and his low drive into the bottom corner gave the keeper no chance. Porth's best chance of the half came 10 minutes before the break when a slight lapse in concentration from us saw their winger get in behind but his pull back to the penalty spot was blazed over the bar by his team mate. Half Time 2 - 0

The visitors started the 2nd half the sharpest as they looked to get the next goal but we held firm and despite their early pressure Tom Lewis was rarely tested in the Town goal. Once we settled and got a foot back in the game the match was as evenly contested as the first half with both sides aware that the next goal would be key and neither side was holding back. 65 minutes in that next goal came and it was us who got it to put that win within touching distance when Craig Jones leapt well inside the box to rise above all others to get his head to the ball to net his 12th goal of the season. Credit to the visitors who never gave up and continued to push and piled on the pressure and inside the last 20 minutes almost got on the score sheet as their quick forward took the ball around the Town keeper only to be denied by Jordan Westcott who covered his keeper well to clear the ball off the line. We defended solidly in the last quarter of the game to keep the away side at bay as the more they pushed it allowed our attacking players the space to break on the counter attack as we could have added to our score tally in the remaining minutes. Final Score 3 - 0

A very good performance all round from us and a deserved 3 points plus a first clean sheet of the season to go with it. We take a break from league action next week as we travel to Port Talbot in the 2nd round of the South Wales Senior Cup to face St Joseph's Old Boys



Saturday 28th September 2019

After the enforced break last week we travelled to the New Inn Fc for our 5th game of the season, we had 5 changes from our last game with Nathan Williams, Craig Williams and Ricky Rossiter coming into the back four with Carl Semmens and Barrie Jones starting in midfield.

We put the pressure on the host early keeping them in their own half but they were always looking dangerous on the break and had the best of the opening chances putting a couple of shots just off target. 10 minutes in and our pressure paid off when Craig Jones and Keiran Tann linked up to see Tann cut inside and his shot from the corner of the box found the far corner. Inside the next 10 minutes we doubled our lead when a cross field ball found Shay Rees who brought the ball down and finished into the bottom corner. The home side continued to play football looking to work the ball to their forwards who created chances between them but didn't trouble the Town keeper. Before the break we added a further 2 goals with Craig Jones netting both of them, the first getting on the end of a through ball to fire past the keeper before he got his head onto a Carl Semmens free kick deep into the box to put us comfortably in front at the break. Half Time 0 - 4

Knowing the next goal to be key the intent was to go out quick in the second half but we took a while to get going and allowed the host to much time and space and their were allowed a few opportunities in front of goal only for Tom Lewis in the Town goal to keep them at bay. The 5th goal of the game eventually came with Keiran Tann getting his 2nd with a free kick from wide causing confusion in the box and the ball going straight into the back of the net. With the game seemingly won we took our foot off the gas and the home side had a few chances themselves, firstly a free kick from the edge of box was pushed wide by Lewis before a low drive from former Town u18 player Brandon Coombes found the bottom corner to pull a goal back, Coombes came close to doubling his tally shortly after bringing a good save from Lewis who tipped the ball over. A few substitutions for us saw Town debuts for Ethan White and Keelan Rees and it was Rees who got the next goal when Craig Jones broke down the left and cut the ball inside to find Rees who showed great composure on the ball to fire past the New Inn keeper. Craig Jones completed the scoring and his hat-trick in the final minute as he broke clear of the back line to go through one on one and put the ball past the home keeper into the bottom corner. Final Score 1 - 7

Not quite the 9 goal thriller of previous weeks but a very good win and a deserved 3 points to go with it to make it 4 wins from 5. We face a tough test next week as we host Porth Harlequins who currently sit 3 points above us in the table



Saturday 14th September 2019

We were on the road this week as we travelled to Treorchy as we looked to build on last week's victory, we had 3 changes to the starting 11 with Jordan Westcott and Dan Rees coming into the back 4 and Shay Rees starting up front.

We started the game well looking to control play and had the best of the opening chances but none that really tested the home keeper. However 25 minutes in it was the hosts who took the lead as slack defending saw the drop to the strikers feet inside the box who had time and space to find the bottom corner to make in 1 - 0. 5 minutes later and Treorchy doubled their lead when again mistakes from us gifted the ball to their winger who low cross along the 6 yard box found his teammate to tap in. We pulled a goal back almost immediately when Keiran Tann cut into the box and was brought down and a penalty awarded, Craig Jones stepped up and sent the keeper the wrong way to score his 8th goal of the season. For the remainder of the half we kept the pressure on looking for an equaliser and had several chances with both Jones and Tann going close, on the stroke of half time we got the deserved 2nd goal when a Tann free kick from out wide caused havoc in the penalty area and beat everyone into the back of net. Half Time 2 - 2

We came out for the second half with the momentum and picked up where we left off at the end of the first with our front 3 causing problems for the home defence and inside 10 minutes we took the lead when Tann played the ball through to Shay Rees who rounded the keeper and fired into the net. Soon after we increased our lead when Jones broke down the right and his cross found Rees in the box whose header from 12 yards gave the keeper no chance. We were well on top now and controlling the game and 75 minutes in Shay Rees completed his perfect hat-trick when Alex Thomas slid the ball through and from just inside the box his left footed drive beat the keeper at his near post to give us a comfortable 3 goal. However a nervy final 5 minutes almost saw us throw away the 3 points as Treorchy scored 2 goals in quick succession, the first a simple through ball caught us flat footed as their striker went through and the 2 minutes before the end a cross into the box was headed in at the far post but we did managed to hold firm for the final minutes to see the game through. Final Score 4 - 5

Another 9 goal game for us but a closer score line than it should have been as we made hard work of the result in the end but got the deserved 3 points which is the main thing that matters. We are back at home next week as we welcome currently unbeaten Cwm Rhondda.

Also a special mention to our very own Barrie Jones who tonight became the new BKB Champion



Saturday 7th September 2019

Our 3rd game of the season saw us host last year's Championship League winners Ystrad Rugby FC as we looked to put right last week's performance. We had 3 changes to the starting 11 with Craig Willimas returning and full Town debuts for Gareth Polston and Nathan Oliver.

With the visitors only starting the game with 9 men they done their best to slow play down and sat behind the ball making it difficult for us to break them down. 10 minutes in we took the lead after a through ball down the middle saw their keeper handle outside the box to give us a free kick, Craig Jones stepped up and drove the ball low and past the keeper. The visitors were then up to their full complement of players which opened the game up and saw both sides attacking with chances at both ends. 25 minutes in and Ystrad drew level when we failed to clear our lines and the ball fell to their player in the box who from 12 yards found the back of the net. We re-took the lead immediately when Kieron Riddiford broke down the right to beat a couple of their defenders then squared the ball to Craig Jones who finished from 6 yards. We took control of the game for the next 15 minutes and increased our lead further with Jones completing his second hat-trick in 3 games finishing from inside the box before a Craig Williams header from a Keiran Tann corner put us 4 - 1 up. Just before half time the visitors got a goal back when a ball over the top allowed their striker to go through who found the bottom corner of the net from just inside the area. Half Time 4 - 2

With us starting the second half slowly in the previous two games we needed to ensure we broke the trend this week as we looked to get the next goal and inside the first 10 minutes a wonder strike from John Williams did just that as he picked the ball up just inside the opposition half and allowed to carry it forward and from 35 yards drove the ball high into the back of the net. A couple of substitutions saw the introduction of Shay Rees and Jordan Westcott and within minutes of coming on Westcott almost increased our lead when he was on the end of a good passing movement and the ball came to him just inside the box but his shot went just wide of the far post. The visitors had a good spell midway through the half where they were piling on the pressure and did eventually get a goal back when a poor clearance from the Town keeper saw the ball fall to the feet of their midfielder who with time struck the ball from 25 yards over the keepers head into the top corner. With the momentum with the away side they continued to push forward but this was allowing us chances on the counter attack as the back line soaked up the pressure coming from Ystrad and inside the last 10 minutes we made sure of the 3 points as we broke and Craig Jones got into the area and squared the ball for the oncoming Shay Rees who from 6 yards found the back of the net to open his account for the season. Final Score 6 - 3

A better performance than last week and a deserved 3 points to go with it but still have room for improvement in our overall play. We look to build on this result now starting with an away trip next Saturday as we travel to Treorchy BGC



Saturday 31st August 2019

Our first home game of the season saw us host last years runners up Treherbert, we had the one change from last weeks victory with Jordan Westcott returning to the side after his transfer in the week.

We started slowly allowing the visitors too much time and space with the ball but we managed to soak up the pressure early on. 20 minutes in we conceded a poor goal when a corner was partially cleared to the penalty spot but their player was allowed time to bring it down, pick his spot and fire into the back of the net. Within 5 minutes we drew level when a deep hanging free kick from Ricky Rossiter was met by the head of Craig Jones who rose above the visitors keeper to equalise. The remainder of the half became a competitive affair with both sides battling but just before the break Treherbert re-took the lead in almost an identical fashion to their first goal when again a corner only partially cleared and dropped to their player who again had time and drilled the ball into the back of the net. Half Time 1 - 2

As we did last week we didn't get going in the second half but this time we were punished when their winger had time and space to pick a cross and their striker fired in. From then on in it was a total shambles from us and we may as well have just called it a day and hand the 3 points to the visitors, which is more or less what we did as we stopped working and gave up as Treherbert got their 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th goals (and they probably should have hit double figures). Final score 1 - 8

A totally embarrassing result for us today and an equally and if not more an embarrassing performance. We are at home again next week against newly promoted Ystrad RFC



Saturday 24th August 2019

We kicked off the 2019/20 season with an away trip against the Baglan as we looked to start the campaign on a positive note in what is expected to be a very tough league this year.

We got off to the perfect start as we looked to play on the front foot from the first whistle and 5 minutes in we took the lead when last season's top goalscorer Craig Jones got on the end of a through ball to lift the ball over the keeper to open his account for the season. Soon after we doubled our lead after some good football between young Kieron Riddiford and Jones saw the ball fall to Keiran Tann just inside the area who finished into the back of the net. Whether it was the heat or complacency started to set in but we took our foot off the gas for 15 minutes and although we were still well on top and creating chance we seemed to lack the edge that saw us start the game so well. After the water break we restarted as we started the half and upped in a gear and wasn't long before we increased our lead with the goal of the game from Keaton Taylor, from a Baglan corner we broke quickly as Taylor picked the ball up on the half way line and dribbled at their back line beating 3 of them before cutting in from the right and finishing superbly into the far corner of the net. In the 40th minutes we got our 4th goal of the game with Craig Jones doubling his tally with a well struck shot giving the keeper no chance. The last kick of the half saw The Baglan get a goal back when the ball went out wide and seemingly to cross the line for a throw-in but with no flag from the linesman they got a cross into the box and with us stopped and switched off allowed their striker space to turn the ball into the back of the net. Half Time 1 - 4

Despite the focus of the half time team talk being one that we need to start the second half as we did the first we went out and done the opposite and couldn't really get a hold of the game and allowed the home side time and space to put us under pressure but we did manage to withstand it and restricted them to long range efforts which didn't trouble the Town keeper. With the home side pushing forward it was allowing us space in behind and although we weren't on the top of our game we were still causing them problems and had chances to increase our lead but failed to make them count. With players picking up knocks we were forced into a few changes in personnel and formation which did inadvertently work in our favour as we got the 6th goal of the game  in the 65th minute when Tann turned on the edge of the area and his low left footed strike found the bottom corner. The home side hit back straight away when lack marking at a corner allowed their centre half to head into the back of the net to make it 2 - 5. This gave us a wake up call and we switched back on and finished the game strongly and got back on top for the final 15 minutes to create a number of chances. We soon restored our 4 goal lead when substitute Leon Jones picked the ball up on the edge of the area and calmly slotted the ball around the defender into the corner of the net to get his first senior goal for the Town. The final action of the game saw us get our 7th goal and Craig Jones pick up the match ball when he broke into the box and fire past the home keeper to complete his hat-trick. Final Score 2 - 7

A very good result to start the season and a lot of positives to take from the performance but also some lessons to be learnt and build on for the rest of the season. We face a tough test next week in our first home game as we host last season's league runners up Treherbert BGC