Seniors Season 2014 / 2015


Final League Table




Player Stats


Match Reports

Saturday 16th August 2014
Ben Edwards
Tom Lewis
Our first game of the new season saw us welcome Tongwynlais in match between the bottom two sides of last season. We had 6 new additions to the side with Paul Ellis and Ben Edwards making their debuts plus Liam Eason stepping up from last seasons junior side, along with these there were returns to the Town for Tyrone Owen, Huw Evans and Wayne Davies.
Dispute some good performances and looking like a side playing with confidence in pre-season were instantly on the back foot as the game kicked off as Tongwynlais came flying out of the blocks and we struggled to get going for the first 20 minutes and were probably lucky not to find ourselves well out of the game, Tongwynlais did manage to get one goal on 15 mins when a ball over the top caught our back four out and their striker ran through to lift the ball over Owen in the Town goal. We did eventually wake up and finally managed to keep the ball in the Tongwynlais half for longer than 30 seconds and on 25 minutes did draw level when Rob Evans's shot across the box found its way to Edwards at the back post who fired home to mark his Town debut with a goal. For the reminder of the half we took control of the game and were unlucky not to go into the break ahead, the best chance falling to Eason when he broke from midfield superbly lifted the ball over the keeper but his header didn't quite have enough power and the keeper recovered to smother the ball right on the line. Half time 1 - 1
The second half started a bit more evenly and openly with both sides having their chances but it was Tongwynlais who took theirs and scored 2 goals in the space of 5 mins to restore their lead after some slack defensive work on our part. 2 substitution and change in tactic within 5 minutes saw Thomas Williams come on to make his Town debut replacing Davies out wide and Tom Lewis replacing Garry Edwards looking for a way back into the game. With 15 minutes remaining we got a goal back when some good work by Lee Bolderson closing down the keeper saw the ball drop to the feet of Lewis just inside the box who calmly side footed the ball into the far corner of the net. Soon after we were close to getting an equaliser when Evans's header from 10 yards hit the foot of the post and was gathered by the keeper. With us continuing to push for a third goal Tongwynalis were catching us on the break and the final 5 minutes saw the game going from end to end and we had a great chance in the final minutes when Alex Thomas was brought down on the edge of the box, Jordan Westcott took the free kick and brought a fine save from the Tongwynlais keeper who tipped over the bar. Final Score 2 - 3
Saturday 23rd August 2014
Lee Bolderson
Rob Evans (2) 1p
This week we were in cup action against Amateur League side Canton Libs, there were senior debuts for Callum Westcott and Jarrad Walters as well as a return to the Town for Joe Eason.
The early pressure came from the away side but we managed to stay strong in the back and had a few chances ourselves. Mid way through the half Canton took the lead when a long throw was fumbled by Tom Lewis in the Town goal and the ball dropped to their strikers feet 6 yards out who tapped in. 10 minutes later Canton doubled their lead when Nathan Williams was adjudged to have pulled down their striker inside the box and the ref awarded a penalty which was fired into the corner of the net. Half Time 0 - 2
Garry Edwards came of for Huw Evans at half time and we came out with some belief and within 5 minutes we were back in the game when some good passing saw Lee Bolderson get on the end of Walters's through ball and lifted the ball over the Canton keeper. We kept the pressure on looking for the equaliser but were caught on the break and a poor offside decision meant they had two players bearing down on goal and from the edge of the area a powerful shot beat Lewis in the Town goal. We didn't let our heads drop and went at them again and soon got a second goal when Ben Edwards's long throw was causing them problems and Rob Evans was on hand to score his first goal of the season. Canton extended their lead once again when a bizarre decision saw the ref award the away side a second penalty. This did knock us back and we were all over the shop for the next 10 minutes but managed to settle down and starting pushing again, we made two substitutions with Luc Thomas and Wayne Davies replacing Edwards and Liam Eason. 5 minutes from time we got a third goal when Rob Evans broke the offside trap and went through one on one and rounded the keeper only for him to be brought down, Evans stepped up and calmly slotted the ball into the back of the net to make it 3 - 4. We continued to push for a late equaliser but in the end just ran out of time in the end, final score 3 - 4.
Tuesday 26th August 2014
Rob Evans
Our first midweek game of the season saw us travel to early league leaders Penrhiwceiber Cons, we had 4 missing from Saturday’s cup game and our squad was fully stretched with few players also carrying knocks.
We got off to the worst possible start when Ceiber took the lead inside the first 2 minutes with a well taken header 8 yards out, and it didn’t get any easier after that as they continued to pile on the pressure and got a second goal just before the 10 minute mark. This is how the remainder of the half continued and it seemed at times as if the had 3 more players on the field than us. Ceiber added two more goals before the break but it could have been a lot more. Half Time 4 – 0
After a few stern words at half time all we could hope for was to keep the score respectable and restore some pride after a shocking first half performance. We did put a little more fight into the second half but if it wasn’t for Tyrone Owen in the Town goal the score could have easily reached double figures. We did get a consolation goal 20 mins into the second half when Rob Evans struck from 25 yards out to find the top corner. Ceiber were clearly the dominant team and continued to push but some brave defending and keeping kept them out. Ceiber did finally get a 5th goal in the final minutes. Final Score 5 – 1
Saturday 30th August 2014
Joe Eason
Callum Westcott
Lee Bolderson
This week we played host to local rivals Ynyshir Albions, we had 3 changes from midweek with Jordan Westcott, Garry Edwards and Joe Eason returning to the starting 11 in place of the missing Paul Ellis, Alex Thomas and Wayne Davies.
For the first time this season we started the better team and inside 3 minutes we took the lead when Eason cut inside the defender and fired the ball hard and low into the near post giving the keeper no chance. The game was quite open and feisty with both sides looking a threat on the brake; Ynyshir's best chance fell on the half hour mark only to be denied by a fantastic save by Tyrone Owen in the Town goal when he tipped a shot around the post form a shot from 8 yards out. Ynyshir did draw level on the stroke of half time when we failed to clear a long punt from the keeper and the ball fell to their midfielder who slotted past Owen.
Half Time 1 – 1
We got caught cold a bit early in the second half when Ynyshir took the lead 5 minutes into the half when their strikers shot was deflected past Owen by Nathan Williams. In a change from recent games we didn't feel sorry for ourselves and was quickly back on the attack and it wasn't long before we were level when Callum Westcott cut in from the right hand side and from just inside the box hit a curling shot into the far corner to grab his first senior goal for the Town. Both sides had their chances in the second half but it was Town captain Lee Bolderson who got the deciding goal 10 minutes from time when he broke from midfield and took the ball on his chest drove into the area and fired low into the far corner. The final minutes saw Ynyshir pushing for an equaliser but some brave and solid defending, no more than young Westcott, who put his body in the way to block a powerful shot saw the Town hold on for a well deserved 3 points. Final Score 3 - 2
Saturday 6th September 2014
Rob Evans
This week we travelled to St Josephs with spirits high after last week's hard fought victory. There were 3 changes from last week with Lee Bolderson missing through injury, Nathan Williams suspended and Joe Eason not available meant returns to the side for Paul Ellis, Alex Thomas and Jarrad Walters.
We started a lot slower this week and struggled to get into the game and St Josephs were the better side and only denied but a few good saves from Tyrone Owen in the Town goal. The home side took the lead on the stoke of half time when we failed to clear our lines and the ball fell to their striker on the edge of the box and Huw Evans was then adjudged to have brought him down and the ref pointed to the spot in which they converted. Half Time 1 - 0
The second half was a bit more even with both sides looking a threat on the break however it was the home side that doubled their lead with 15 mins of the restart. Two subs with 20 mins remaining saw Ryan Cameron make his Town return and Luc Thomas replaced Jordan Westcott and Garry Edwards. On 75 mins the home side had a chance to increase their lead further with their second penalty of the game but this time Tyrone Owen got down well to beat the ball away. With 5 mins remaining quick thinking from Rob Evans saw his free kick from 45 yards beat the St Josephs keeper to set up an intense final minutes. Despite us pushing for a late equaliser it was St Josephs who got the final goal with a well taken free kick from just outside the area. Final Score 3 – 1
Saturday 13th September 2014
First 20 minutes was quite even but was Cadoxton who just edged it, they then took the lead and soon found themselves 3 – 0 with some poor play on our part and after this we never really recovered. Rob Evans had our best chance of the half with his low shot from outside the box going just wide. Half Time 0 – 3
A few changes at half time saw us come out second half with a bit more fight but we were unable to break down a solid Cadoxton side. The away side added two more goals in the second half to make the final score 0 – 5.
Saturday 20th September 2014
Ben Edwards
For the second week running we played Cadoxton and for several different reasons there were 6 changes to the side, new signings during the week saw the return of Jeremy Morgan and Jarrad Facey to Stanleytown, there was also first starts of the seasons for Mitchell Tann and Jarrad Davies as well as the returns of Lee Bolderson and Alex Thomas to the starting 11.
From the first whistle we were a different side from last weekend as there seemed to be more fight and commitment from us and we were looking dangerous on the attack with Facey going through one on one only to be denied by a good save from the Cadoxton keeper. It was the home side that took the lead though when a cross come shot found its way past Tyrone Owen in the Town goal. After half hour the home side doubled their lead when a mix up at the back left their striker with an easy tap in. We had chances ourselves when Jarrad Davies hit a shot on the half volley just inside the box only for it to go narrowly over. We did get a deserved goal back just before the break when strong play by Alex Thomas down the right wing and then linked well with Rob Evans before his cross to the back post was superbly volleyed into the bottom corner by Ben Edwards. Half Time 2 – 1
The longer the game was going the stronger we seemed to be getting and was playing more football in the Cadoxton half and forcing a couple of saves from the home keeper. Cadoxton themselves had a few chances but were denied by some good saves from Tyrone Owen in the Town goal. Ryan Cameron replaced the non stop Ben Edwards mid way through the half. 70 minutes in we had a great chance to level when the ball found its way to Lee Bolderson at the back post only for his shot to go just over the bar, 5 minutes later Cadoxton extended their lead when a shot was well saved by Owen and fell to their striker, who seemed to be in an offside position, and he fired in from close range. Luc Thomas came on for Jarrad Davies for the final 10 minutes. The game was put to bed with 5 minutes remaining when a powerful shot from inside the area hit the back of the net. Nicky Rees came on for the final few minutes in place of the injured Bolderson and soon made his mark on the game when he was subjected to some abuse from the home side which also saw one of their players seeing red.
Final Score 4 – 1
Saturday 27th September 2014
This week we were at home to Whitchurch and for the first time in a while we had a strong side to choose from with some from. After some midweek signings there were returns to the club for Matthew Bishop and Martin Jones.
Whitchurch started the strongest side and looked much sharper than us and at times even seemed if they had more players on the field as they were running us ragged and they soon took the lead 10 minutes in when a low cross from the right was turned past Tom Lewis in the Town goal from 6 yards out. The away team doubled their lead not long after in almost similar fashion. A slight change to our formation saw us steady the ship and tightened up but Whitchurch were still well in control. After half hour a fumble by Lewis saw the ball fall to the head of the Whitchurch striker who increased their lead. 5 minutes before the break a deep free kick was turned into his own net by Callum Westcott to give the visitors a comfortable 4 - 0 half time lead.
We came out for the second half with nothing but some pride to play for but within 5 minutes the away team broke down the left to go one on one and then squared the ball to the oncoming striker to slide into an empty net. Unlike previous games we didn't give in and kept battling but just couldn't seem to get any type of hold on the game. Some brave defending by Callum Westcott and Nathan Williams putting their body in the way and a few good saves from Lewis kept the score at 5. Our best chance of the game came with 15 mins remaining when a left foot volley by Jordan Westcott from 35 yards hit the cross bar. Whitchurch finished the half as they started it with a break down the left and a square pass to the oncoming striker who rounded off a miserable day for the Town with Whitchurch is 6th goal. Final Score 0 - 6
Saturday 4th October 2014
Saturday 11th October 2014
Saturday 18th October 2014
Rob Evans
Saturday 25th October 2014
Liam Eason
Saturday 1st November 2014
Callum Westcott
We took an early lead when Callum Westcott was the first to react to the goalkeepers save from a Rob Evans free kick to drive home from close range. Penrhiwfer seemed to dominate possession but rarely troubling the goal. They did draw level not long before half time when they were awarded a dubious penalty for handball and the converted. We almost regained the lead when Evans got his head to a Nathan Williams cross only for the ball to hit the post and we were unable to follow up. Half Time 1 – 1
Second half was an even contest with both sides threatening the opposition goal, it was the away side who got the breakthrough when a free kick to the back post was well headed back across goal into the net. The visitors sealed the points in the final 5 minutes when their full back cut inside un-challenged and allowed to hit a well struck ball from 30 yards which beat Tom Lewis in the Town goal. Final Score 1 – 3
Saturday 8th November 2014
Garry Edwards
Saturday 15th November 2014
Carl Semmens
Garry Edwards
Saturday 22nd November 2014
Rob Evans (pen)
Liam Eason 2
Garry Edwards
Saturday 6th December 2014
Arran Davies
Liam Eason
Saturday 20th December 2014
Lee Bolderson
Saturday 24th January 2015
Saturday 31st January 2015
Saturday 7th February 2015
Alex Thomas
Garry Edwards
Martin Jones
Keiran Tann
Saturday 14th February 2015
Callum Westcott
Saturday 28th February 2015
Matthew Bishop
Saturday 7th March 2015
Saturday 14th March 2015
Keiran Tann (2)
Saturday 21st March 2015
Keiran Tann
Saturday 28th March 2015
Tom Lewis
Saturday 18th April 2015
Saturday 25th April 2015
Nicky Rees